Wednesday 14 January 2009

Busy Busy Busy

I haven't blogged for a while because I've been so busy. I'm spending nearly all day walking one dog at a time and it's getting a bit frustrating.

So today I introduced one of my pups to her new walking partner. She is a young Wiemy, he's a GSD cross who I have been walking a couple of weeks. She needs more stimulation but is so easily aroused it's hard for me to give it to her during my hour. On a walk she generally stays close to me and doesn't really run around much so isn't making the most of her time. It's been awkward as she's not ready for an hour's walk, while the adult obviously wants as long as possible, so I've come up with a plan which I think will work.

Go to her house, do the usual bits and bobs, then drive her round to the other dog's house. Collect him, then walk them both through the fields with a bit of road walking back to her house. Tuck him safely in the side alley while I put her away, then walk him back through the fields. I think this will take more than an hour, so he'll get extra, but won't be longer than two hours, so I'll still be saving time. She will also benefit from the doggie company, which is great. I would have tried it today, only we were halfway across the fields when I realised I didn't have her door keys with me - they were still locked in the car... When I took her home today she ate all her lunch (although by then it was more 'high tea') without messing about, which is the first time since Christmas break. She also looked liked all she wanted to do was curl up and sleep for hours, which is a good thing.

Update: Woohoo! That works. Although Wiemy was a bit put out that she had to share her walk and so played up to get my attention. I'll try to make sure that she still gets some time alone one or two days a week because she is still young enough to need it.

I still feel as knackered as if I'd done two separate walks though!